Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
Who you are contracting with
www.bookitbooks.co.za (the “Website”) is owned and operated by Bookit Online Pty (Ltd), registration number: 2020 / 475090 / 07 (hereinafter referred to as “Bookit Online”).
Visitors to the Website (“Users” or “you”), including those Users who purchase any products on the Website (“Purchasers”) are bound by these terms and conditions (“T&C”). If you do not agree to these T&C, do not continue to use the Website. Your continued use of the Website will constitute acceptance of the T&C, unmodified by you.
Lay-out of these T&C: These T&C apply to your use of, and purchases made on, the Website and are divided into various sections as follows:
• Part 1: Purchases from Bookit – terms and conditions applying to purchases from Bookit
• Part 2: General – terms and conditions applying to your use of the Website and any purchases made by you on the Website.
PART 1: PURCHASES FROM BOOKIT
Bookit Products & Availability:
Stock availability: Stock of all goods on offer are limited. Bookit shall take all reasonable efforts to ensure that when stock is no longer available, it will be displayed on the website.
Please note that although Bookit endeavors to accurately describe and/or depict each product on the Website, some descriptions or photographs may be of a generic nature and not specific to the particular product you wish to buy.
Should there be any error or damage to the product you receive, you are entitled to return the product to Bookit for a full refund or exchange within 7 days of delivery. Please click Returns Policy (which explains how and when you can be refunded, as well as how returns are to be made).
Amounts payable by You
1. Prices: The price of each product is displayed with the product listing. In the event of a sale or special offer, the discounted price is displayed.
2. Delivery Charges: Delivery charges differ depending on a variety of factors, including product type, price, and weight, as well as whether delivery is to be made within, main centre areas or outside the main centres.
3. Value Added Tax: Value added tax at the rate of 15% is charged on goods bought by South African residents.
Errors: Bookit shall take all reasonable efforts to accurately indicate prices and delivery charges. However, should products be erroneously offered at incorrect prices and/or delivery charges, Bookit shall not be obliged to sell products at such incorrect prices and/or delivery charges, but shall refund monies paid by you should you not wish to proceed with the purchase at the correct price and/or delivery charge.
Subject to any exceptions expressly mentioned below, your payment for any products ordered from Bookit must be made to us in the following way:
At the time of placing the order, the transaction details are presented to the bank and payment is collected immediately. If the bank’s authorisation is not obtained, the order will be cancelled. Bookit may carry out certain fraud checks with the cardholder or the cardholder’s bank, should Bookit be unable to verify the validity of the transaction the order will be cancelled.
Storing credit card details: Note that the Website may enable you to store your credit card details when you have an account for easy usage later. However, Bookit is not the one collecting, storing or otherwise processing your credit card details. Instead it is Payfast. Payfast is the compliant payment service provider, who will collect, store and process your credit card details for you, and display them to you later on the payment page of the Website and/or other external websites which support this Payfast portal. More specifically, by selecting to have your credit card details stored, you will be doing the following:
• contracting with Payfast who will collect, store and process your credit card details for you on its systems in an encrypted format in Payfast’s secure PCI compliant environment (which is why you will be clicking to agree to its standard terms of service that are applicable to you):
- by agreeing that Bookit may disclose (by means of a link between the Website and the systems of Payfast) such information that Bookit has on record as is necessary to enable Payfast) to verify your identity and determine whether you are already a registered Payfast user or not;
- to create a profile for you and store your credit card details with reference to that profile; and
- to check against your profile and pre-populate your credit card details on the Website, whenever you log into your account
• Delivery periods are only regarded as having commenced upon payment confirmation being received by Bookit. If paying with a specific credit card for the first time on the Website, or if Bookit regards the transaction to be large and/or unusual, Bookit may carry out certain fraud checks with the cardholder’s bank and the delivery period shall only be regarded as having commenced upon completion of such checks.
• Delivery periods are calculated based on working days only. Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays are not considered in calculating delivery periods. So, for example, if you order something over the weekend, the delivery period will only start running on the next working day, subject to payment and confirmation and fraud checks.
• Bookit makes every effort to ensure that the information supplied on the Website is accurate. Where delays and out of stock situations occur, every reasonable effort will be made to inform the purchaser.
Delivery Lead times:
All Bookit items listed on the Website have an indication of the lead-time. However, note the following in particulars:
Lead Time explanations:
Weekdays means Monday to Friday 8:00 to 13:00 and excludes public holidays and weekends.
• 24 hours dispatch products – these are products which are likely in stock and will be dispatched from Bookit warehouse within 24 hours, which means you should receive them within 3 to 4 working days. However, this only applies:
if you order and we receive the payment of the products before 11h00 on a weekday (failure will mean, dispatching will be delayed to the next working day), and
if delivery is to be made to a main centre in South Africa. Main centre deliveries will be made in a period of 3 to 4 working days. Delivery outside main centres usually takes an additional 1-2 working days.
• locally sourced books which need to be ordered usually take 5 to 15 working days.
PART 2 – GENERAL
Note that this applies to all purchases made on the Website.
Restrictions on Sale
Defects, Returns, Refunds & Guarantees
Should you not be satisfied with any product purchased by you on the Website by reason of an error or damage you may be entitled to either be refunded or have the product repaired or replaced, as the case may be. The Refund Policy regulates your rights in this regard, and how products are to be returned to us. Returns Policy.
A full record of every sale and related transaction between you and Bookit shall be maintained on the Website for a period of 12 months following the date of such sale or related transaction. You shall thus only be able to view and print such record during such period, where after, you shall be responsible for retaining your own record of the relevant sale or related transaction.
Save for Bookit being liable to you –
• under the Consumer Protection Act 68 of 2008 ("CPA") in relation to any products sold by Bookit to you via the Website; and
• under sections 43(5) and 43(6) of the ECT Act in relation to Bookit payment systems not being sufficiently secure,
neither Bookit nor any of its agents or representatives shall be liable for any damage, loss or liability of whatsoever nature arising from the use or inability to use this Website or the services or content provided from and through this Website. Furthermore, Bookit makes no representations or warranties, implied or otherwise, that, amongst others, the content and technology available from this Website and associated communications are free from errors or omissions or that the service will be 100% uninterrupted and error free. You are encouraged to report any possible malfunctions and errors to firstname.lastname@example.org
Although the products sold via the Website may be under warranty, the Website itself is supplied on an "as is" basis and has not been compiled or supplied to meet your individual requirements. It is your sole responsibility to satisfy yourself prior to accepting these T&C that the service and products available from and through this Website will meet your individual requirements and be compatible with your hardware and/or software.
Information, ideas and opinions expressed on this Website should not be regarded as professional advice or the official opinion of Bookit and you are encouraged to consult professional advice before taking any course of action related to information, ideas or opinions expressed on this Website.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
This Website is hosted, controlled and operated from the Republic of South Africa and therefore governed by South African law and, subject to the ‘Disputes’ clause of these T&C, you and Bookit submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the South African courts.
We respect your privacy and will not disclose your personal information to third parties for marketing purposes if you have requested us not to do so (which you are able to do at any time).
Any person that delivers or attempts to deliver any damaging code to this Website or attempts to gain unauthorised access to any page on this Website shall be prosecuted and civil damages shall be claimed in the event that Bookit suffers any damage or loss.
You agree and warrant that your log-in name and password (if you have an account) shall be used for your personal use only and shall not be disclosed to any third party.
You allow Bookit to take all reasonable steps to ensure the integrity and security of the Website and back-office applications.
All credit card transactions are Secure Socket Layers encrypted.
Changes to Agreement
Bookit may, in its sole discretion, change these T&C or any part thereof at any time on notice to you. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are satisfied with the amendments. Should you not be satisfied with the amendments, you must refrain from placing any further orders on, or from using in any way, the Website.
1. Between you and Bookit: Save for urgent or interim relief which may be granted by a competent court, in the event of any dispute of any nature whatsoever arising between you and Bookit on any matter provided for in, or arising out of these T&C, and not resolved through the Customer Services Department of Bookit, then such a dispute shall be submitted to confidential arbitration in terms of the expedited rules of the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa. The expedited arbitration rules may be downloaded from http://www.arbitration.co.za/downloads/expedited_rules.pdf.
Address for Notices
Bookit chooses as its address for all purposes under these T&C, whether in respect of court process, notice, or other documents or communication of whatsoever nature, the following address:
8 Westminster Court, 16 Wisbeach Road, Sea Point, Cape Town, Western Cape, 8005. with a copy to email@example.com (the sending of such copy being required for any notice to be validly delivered to Bookit)
Term and Termination
These T&C shall commence from the date on which they are published on the Website and continue indefinitely, as amended by Bookit from time to time (as described above), for so long as the Website exists and is operational, Bookit being entitled to terminate these T&C and/or shut down the Website at any time (subject to still processing any orders then already placed and accepted by Bookit).
Copyright & other Intellectual Property Rights
Any and all copyrighting of this Website, including our T’s&C’s, vests in Bookit. Accordingly, all rights not expressly granted are reserved and should be requested from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bookit and its management cannot review or edit all the information and or content on the Website and accordingly, we do not accept any liability for illegal, defamatory, or obscene content. Should you experience any of the latter, then kindly inform us on email@example.com and we will endeavour to correct it.
The data and all content of the website and its associated registered trademarks on this Website, including but not limited to, graphics, software, text, designs, icons and agreements, are the property of or licensed to Bookit and as such are protected from infringement by local and international legislation.
When you visit the Website or send e-mails to Bookit, you consent to receiving communications from Bookit electronically and agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures and other communications sent by Bookit satisfies any legal requirements, including but not limited to the requirement that such communications should be "in writing".
No person, business or web site may frame this site or any of the pages on this Website in any way whatsoever.
No person, business or web site may use any technology to scrape or search and gain any information from this Website without the prior written permission of Bookit.
The ECT Act states that when goods or services are offered by way of certain electronic transactions, the seller thereof must make certain information about it available to customers on websites where the goods or services are offered.
Full name: Bookit Online Pty(Ltd), registered in South Africa, registration number 2020 / 475090 / 07
Main business: Academic Bookshop retailing Books including calculators
Address for receipt of legal service: 8 Westminster Court, 16 Wisbeach Road, Sea Point, Cape Town, Western Cape, 8005
Office bearers: Ruth Borgenheimer (Office Manager )
Store URL: www.bookitbooks.co.za
Official email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Code of Conduct: not applicable